How to format a cell as email address

  1. #1
    Steve Freides
    Guest

    How to format a cell as email address

    Someone sent me a spreadsheet with a column for email addresses. Only
    some of the addresses are clickable links and I thought I'd do everyone
    a service and fix the cells that aren't formatted properly and sent the
    spreadsheet back out again. (It's a team list for one of my kids' sports
    teams.)

    But, when I go into format, I see lots of things like text, number,
    currency, special - but no email. How does one do this?

    I'm using Excel Office 2003, SP1, running on XP/Pro, SP2, with all the
    latest updates to both.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Carbondale CO
    Steve Freides,

    One way is to select the cell you want to place an active e-mail address and go to Insert>Hyperlink in the dialog box select e-mail address (lower left hand corner in Excel 2002) type in your email address in the line provided.

    Normally, when I type in a line of text in a cell that looks like an email address Excel recognizes it as such and makes it a hyperlink. But that may be an option setting that I'm unaware of and just happen to have set correctly on my machine by luck.

    HTH
    Casey

  3. #3
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: How to format a cell as email address

    e-mail addresses should be hyperlinks, so select the cell containing the
    non-clickable text, then click on the Hyperlink tool. The Inser Hyperlink
    dialog will appear so then click E-mail Address and fill in the details under
    the e-mail address input space (harder to describe than actually doing it!!)

  4. #4
    Steve Freides
    Guest

    Re: How to format a cell as email address

    Thank you both.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Michael
    Guest

    Re: How to format a cell as email address

    Steve, you can also select the cell, press F2 and Enter and it will create
    the hyperlink for you.
    --
    Sincerely, Michael Colvin