Not Enough Rows in Excel

  1. #1

    Question Not Enough Rows in Excel

    I never thought I would run out of space in Excel however, lately I have been needing more rows than what excel will allow me. I have found that Excel allows for only 65,536 rows and no more.

    I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to extend that. Are there any programs that will increase the amount of rows allowed? I am thinking I would need around 150,000 rows.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    You have, as I see it, three options:

    Use QuatroPro (1 million rows)
    Use additional sheets for your data
    Use a database instead of Excel

    There are NO workarounds to the 65536 row per sheet limit in Excel.

    Good Luck!
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Not Enough Rows in Excel

    The only workaround is to continue onto another sheet.

    --
    Ian

  4. #4
    Ken Wright
    Guest

    Re: Not Enough Rows in Excel

    Nope. If you are using it as data storage then you might want to consider
    using Access to store the data, and you can then query the table with Excel
    using Pivot tables or Query etc.

    --
    Regards
    Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

  5. #5
    Timothy L
    Guest

    Re: Not Enough Rows in Excel

    Start another Worksheet.

    Insert a new worksheet

    These instructions in the link above are for Microsoft Excel 2003, but should work in other versions of
    Microsoft Excel.

    --
    Please post all replies to the newsgroup for the benefit of others.
    Requests for assistance by email will NOT be acknowledged!

  6. #6
    Thanks for the advice. I will look into some alternative programs.

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Not Enough Rows in Excel

    Hi Joe

    Not much help at the moment, but when Excel 12 is eventually released, then
    according to information released by Microsoft today,

    "Specifically, the Excel 12 grid will be 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns.
    That’s 1,500% more rows and 6,300% more columns than in Excel 2003,
    and for those of you that are curious, columns now end at XFD instead of IV."

    Regards

    Roger Govier