Custom function returning VALUE error

  1. #1

    Custom function returning VALUE error

    Hi,

    I am trying to construct a simple function to calculate distance between 2 points on Carthesian plane. The function I wrote:

    Function FieldsXY(startx, starty, endx, endy)
    FieldsXY = Application.SQRT((endx - startx) ^ 2 + (endy - starty) ^ 2)
    End Function

    The only result I'm getting is #VALUE! error. I tried to declare all arguments as integer, didn't help. Help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm no expert in this .

    regards,
    Alex

  2. #2
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Custom function returning VALUE error

    Hi. Vba has its own Sqrt function, so SQRT wasn't included under
    "Application.WorksheetFunction."

    FieldsXY = Sqr((endx - startx) ^ 2 + (endy - starty) ^ 2)

    HTH :>)
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Win XP & Office 2003

    "alex.k" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Custom function returning VALUE error

    Function FieldsXY(startx As Double, starty As Double, endx As Double, endy
    As Double) As Double
    FieldsXY = ((endx - startx) ^ 2 + (endy - starty) ^ 2) ^ (1 / 2)
    End Function

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

  4. #4
    Forum Guru
    North America
    MS-Off Ver
    2002/XP and 2007
    Posts
    15,880
    Also make sure you've placed the function in an actual code module, and not in the code page associated with a worksheet.

  5. #5
    Thank you. Stupid me, I knew it is something simple. I actually spend some time looking through help to find out if VB has a SQR function, but didn't find it so I assumed it doesn't.
    And maybe I should refresh my maths, as SQR is not even needed here [as 2nd answer shows]

    Thank you both again.
    Alex

  6. #6
    Myrna Larson
    Guest

    Re: Custom function returning VALUE error

    Hmmm... In Excel 2003, I typed 'square root' in the Help box; the first item
    returned was the SQRT worksheet function.

  7. #7
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: Custom function returning VALUE error

    Hi Alex. Here is a technique if interested. You typed "Application.SQRT"

    > FieldsXY = Application.SQRT((endx - startx) ^ 2 + (endy - starty)

    Don't know what version you have, but in the latest versions of Excel, I
    find it slightly better to use "WorksheetFunction" instead of just
    "Application"
    In the vba editor, go to Tools | Options | Editor tab, and make sure you
    turn on "Auto List Members"
    When you type "WorksheetFunction" followed by a period, you will see a list
    of valid worksheet functions that are available. Older versions of Excel
    required you to type "Application.WorksheetFunction" then period to get the
    Auto List Members to show the functions.
    HTH :>)