Multiple data in series

  1. #1

    Multiple data in series

    I am trying to put multiple date in a series on an Excel chart (Excel 2000). I have two values that I want to show in one month. I want the series to have seperate colors by value but totaled for the month. For example, in June 2005, there is $200 in sales of cookies and $200 in sales of candy. I want to show $400 in sales, but show the series as $200 (green) indicating cookies and $200 (yellow) indicating candy.

  2. #2
    Hi Anne-
    I think this is what your after: a stacked column graph.
    put the data in table format:
    Month $Cookies $Candy

    Select the whole table and make a chart (either click the chart icon, or select chart from the insert menu) This will start the chart wizard, choose column as chart type and stacked column (top row, second from the left) as the sub type. The wizard will walk you through the rest.
    Good luck,
    pim

  3. #3
    What I have is data for January through Decemer for the years 2002 - 2005. Now I need to start seperating data for each month in two catagories. I don't even know if it is possible to have a stacked column chart. I need a chart that shows at the bottom each month grouped together with a series for each year. Then starting in June of 2005, showing two values in one series stacked. Like all this time until June 2005 we were counting cookies and candy as sales together but now we want to show in the single series stacked the total of cookies and candy.

  4. #4
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple data in series

    Did you try Pim's suggestion?

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

  5. #5
    Hi Ann
    hm...
    well, try this as an example and see if it looks right-
    if not, indicate what's off and we'll go from there:
    (that way you don't have to go through the pain of formatting your data-
    then finding out this isn't quite right)

    type in into an new sheet:
    cell a1:Month
    B1: Total Cookies
    C1:Total Candy

    A2: June
    B2:500
    C2: 750

    A3: July
    B3: 250
    C3: 350

    A4: August
    B4: 450
    C4: 500

    highlight the cells in A1:C4 and start the chart wizard-
    and take it from the first post.
    If you're looking for an easy way to separate the data, that's a whole new ball game

  6. #6
    I did try Pim's suggestion. Pim, your last entry I tried and it worked although I have too much data for the graph to look right. On the left column, the data is months. At the top I have years 2002-2005. In June 2005, my supervisor decided that we need to split out the data and he wants to show the data in the same column for that month but show it in different "colors" indicating the split data. He still wants the graph to show the years 2002-2005. I guess I am coming to think that there is no way to have a stacked graph that will show the data the way it will look presentable. Thanks for your help!

  7. #7
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple data in series

    What is good about Pim's suggestion and bad about its use with your data? Why does
    "too much data" make the chart not look right? How do you need to change its
    formatting to make it presentable?

    - Jon
    -------

  8. #8
    What was good about Pim's suggestion was I was able to show the data for June 2005 stacked. My original chart has the labels at the bottom for just the month and they are grouped. So the first group is January and there are 4 bars showing each year under that label. The next label is February and so on. When I changed the graph to Pim's suggestion, the months are no longer grouped. Each column shows the data label as "Jan-02", "Jan-03", etc. I want the chart to look like my original chart showing the groups with individual columns for the year and to start stacking the figures for each month (2 different values).

    Thanks,
    Ann

  9. #9
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple data in series

    I'm having a little trouble visualizing this (sorry, it's getting late). Perhaps it
    would help if you included a sample of your data, so we can see how it's arranged,
    then explain to us what's clustered and what's stacked. (Make sure you type slowly,
    so we can keep up!)

    - Jon
    -------

  10. #10
    I just added my excel spreadsheet.

  11. #11
    Okay, I thought I uploaded the spreadsheet! Not sure where it went.

  12. #12
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: Multiple data in series

    I just meant pasting some of the data into a reply. Some interfaces
    strip out the attachments, and a lot of people don't open them anyway.

    - Jon
    -------