lists w/ multiple worksheets q

  1. #1

    lists w/ multiple worksheets q

    I am trying to create what I think is a strange spreadsheet and at this point I do not even know if it is possible. I have 3 worksheets that I have named database, GUI, & totals. The database sheet contains a a number of rows about a item the user can select. The first column is the name and the next 10 or so columns are specific information about that item. The GUI worksheet has a new row for each day. Then I created a list of all the items in the database worksheet. The user can then on the GUI worksheet select a number of different items from the list (each item is a different column for a specific date). Now this is where I get lost. My third worksheet I want to total up some of the properties from each item the user selected for the day. For example, for 9/28/05 the user selects ITEM1, ITEM3, & ITEM5 from the lists. So now I want in the total sheet the price of all three items. I know what item in the list was selected but how do I get the price of that item off the database worksheet? Is this possible?

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: lists w/ multiple worksheets q

    Try looking at some of these links:
    if you have many sheets with the same exact format
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc2.htm

    VLOOKUP you might need this for pricing
    if you are trying ot lookup a value from a table
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/vlookup.htm

    If you have to manually select (skipping some items) for a total
    that is not very good, can you perhaps use SUMIF Worksheet Function
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sumif.htm

    I think you will want a macro to cycle through your selected items
    and add them to a column in your GUI worksheet with a date or
    other id at the top. Before you write a macro, you must have a
    clear idea of what you are doing manually.

    Updating a worksheet while going through a selection of cell on
    a different worksheet. Some code snippets might be extracted from
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/bus_sched.htm

    If you are going to post to the Excel newsgroups, it would be much
    more friendly to use your name, so we know who your are and what
    to call you. It probably also means a little more care to posting
    questions and answers will result.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...