Address Labels - Help!

  1. #1

    Address Labels - Help!

    The situation:

    I work for a small business which has a large number of Excel wookbook files, each of which holds the details of a customer.

    Part of these details are - obviously - the name and address listing for that customer, with the name and each line of the address being listed in seperate cells.

    The problem:

    The owner of the business has asked that I build up an Excel database of every 2004-2005 customer (well over a thousand), which lists the name and address of each, in such a way that it can be printed directly onto sticky labels if necessary.
    Needless to say, trying to do this manually will take me all year, so I am posting this thread in the hope that somebody can suggest any way in which I can speed this task up.

    I had thought of simple cell referencing, that is to say starting a new workbook - the database - and referencing the required cells from each booking form on it. The problem there is that whilst that will work, it is a manual operation that will take months.

    Can anybody please help!?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    This sounds like a job for a MS Word mail merge, where the worksheet is used to form mail prints according to your design.

    View the Mail-Merge help in Word for ideas on how to.

    Hope this helps

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokingMirror

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Address Labels - Help!

    specifically is for printing labels using MS Word, with Excel
    as the database. A filter can be used to limit which names
    will be printed.

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Thanks for the advice guys, but I'm afraid I can't get it to work as it should. The mail merge idea should probably function, but as far as I can see, I need to still manually select and edit every single record to make the labels.

    Additionally, I don't seem to be able to get Mail Merge to actually extract the data I need from the Excel sheet. I can get up a listing of the data, but I can't get anything to populate onto the Word document.

    The cells from each workbook I require are H3, H4, H5 and K6.

    Can anybody please suggest anything that can help me automatically extract the contents of these cells on hundreds of different records, and put them into a single document, whether Excel or Word?

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Address Labels - Help!

    In order to use mail merge you must have one worksheet,
    that worksheet must be the first worksheet in the workbook
    and each label generated must get it's data from a row on
    that spreadsheet.

    You appear to have the exact opposite of all requirements.
    Seems that the system is very poorly designed, and that it
    should have been a database application. If these spreadsheets
    were actually generated from some other system then you
    should be getting your data from that source.

    >The cells from each workbook I require are H3, H4, H5 and K6.

    Not only do you not have cells in sheet you have them across
    multiple workbook, you have them in a column instead of a row.

    You will have to write a macro to read the directory/directories
    that the workbooks are in, get the fields out of the worksheets
    you need to get them out of.

    --
    ---
    HTH,