A question of sorts

  1. #1

    Question A question of sorts

    I have been using Excel to track my golf society scores for a couple of years and it has served me well, however I would like to know if the following is possible in Excel:

    My players play a total of 10 events. After 6 events are completed each player's scores are added together and a leaderboard is formed. As they play more rounds, players who better their 6th worst score can move up the table.

    Although I can successfully calculate and sort the table of scores to form a list (leaderboard) below in the spreadsheet, I do not know how to link the player's name (which is in a separate cell) with the score so it would appear as below. I have to do this manually.

    John 199
    Steve 196
    Colin 188

    Basically, is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: A question of sorts

    Hi!

    This would require being able to see what you're actually doing. If you want
    me to take a look at your file let me know how to contact you.

    Biff

    "ballb0y" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    JR
    Guest

    RE: A question of sorts

    ....you could use a VLOOKUP formula based on the players' names. Type the
    player names on the leader board tab, use the VLOOKUP to find the total score
    on the score tab, sort the leader board.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: A question of sorts

    What if there are duplicates?

    More than one player with the same score?

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    I should expand a little. The way I order the Leaderboard is by using the MAX formula (of a set of cells) for the leader and then the LARGE formula (2nd thru to the end) for the rest. This gives me the correct list.

    What I would like to do is place the player name in the adjacent cell so that it reads like a true leaderboard. So, in effect I need to link 2 explict cells, for example where Column A is player names; A1 for John Kelleher, link it to cell K1, which is John's current score, and be able to do this for each player/score.

    Thanks for the posts.

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: A question of sorts

    Hi!

    Assume you have the leaderboard scores in the range AA1:AAn

    To return the players names:

    =INDEX(A$1:A$n,MATCH(AA$1,K$1:K$n,0))

    Copy down as needed.

    Note: this will not work properly if there are players with the same score.