Case Sensitivity problem with data validation

  1. #1

    Case Sensitivity problem with data validation

    Hi there,

    I have a slight problem that I hope you may be able to help me with.

    I am trying to perform date validation to some cells in a worksheet, so it will only allow me to enter certain information and will give a warning message if I enter data not in the range that I specify.

    The data range I wish to allow is 1, 2 or X.

    I have entered these values into my worksheet and used the list function within data validation to highlight these values.

    My problem is that everything seems to work fine (if I enter 1, 2 or X in the field it allows it and if I enter any other data, 3 for example I get the warning message), however if I enter a lower case x - it allows this and I get no warning message.

    It is important that the information I enter is case sensitive as said fields are also used with an EXACT command which is case sensitive and the whole reason I want to use data validation is that I often enter a lower case x into the work sheet instead of a upper case X and I want the worksheet to not allow this and provide me with a warning.

    So does anyone have any idea of how I can make the data validation case sensitive?

    Thanks for your help in advance
    Last edited by Upya; 10-06-2005 at 05:05 PM.

  2. #2
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitivity problem with data validation

    Instead of using a list from the worksheet, you could type the list in
    the data validation dialog box.

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  3. #3
    Thanks for you response,

    Someone told me data validation was case sensitive by default, but I couldn't work it out for love or money.

    So I just spent 3 hours working out how to change in VBE to make text in given cells automatically upper case.

    Only to read your response to find out that if I typed the 3 variables seperated by a comma instead of highlighting my list, it would be case sensitive (when highlighting a list or using a defined name list - it was not case sensitive).

    Oh well, it was fun trying to figure it out, hehehe

    Thanks again for your help :D

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Case Sensitivity problem with data validation

    You're welcome, and time spent learning something new is usually a good
    investment!