How to sort and keep formulas

  1. #1

    How to sort and keep formulas

    I have another problem,

    I am sure this one is easy to work out, but my mind seems to have gone blank, so hopefully someone can help.

    I have a worksheet which contains 3 columns.

    Column A - Is a list of names
    Column B - Is a cash amount
    Column C - Is a cash amount from column B minus 10% (for example =B8*0.9)

    The cash amounts in B change regularly and I sort the table to show which person has the most money next to their name (Sort by Column C descending then by Column A ascending).

    My problem is that one of the names in column A does not have 10% taken from their cash, so the formula I use in their column C is simply =B8 (if their name is the 8th row down).

    This works fine until I come to sort the table as mentioned above, the formula for the person who doesnt have the 10% deducted does not follow them, so depending on the amount they have in column B, they end up having a figure minus 10% and the name now in the 8th row has their column C not affected by the 10% deduction.

    I hope thats understandable :D

    I am sure there is a simply fix to this, I seem to remember something about the use of $ (like =$B$8) but that doesnt work.

    Many thanks for your help in advance

  2. #2

    Re: How to sort and keep formulas

    Maybe you could change that formula:

    =b8*(if(a8="Upya",1,.9))

    Do your best to keep those formulas consistent--else you'll be in real trouble.

    Another option.

    Insert a new column--Call it percentage.

    You could either type in the value (.9 or 1) for everyone or use a formula.

    But then you could use:
    =b8*d8

    It might make it easier if/when others change categories--or the percentages
    start to vary more.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: How to sort and keep formulas

    Hi "Upya",
    You are probably sorting on a single column rather than the
    entire worksheet. Use Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar to select all cells
    before doing your sort. (pre Excel 2003 you can use Slct+A).

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...