Need help with two Bowling Formulas

  1. #1
    Tom Rogers
    Guest

    Need help with two Bowling Formulas

    I have setup a spreadsheet to keep track of my personal bowling scores. I
    have made everything automatic except 2 formulas that I cannot figure out,
    can someone help?

    1) Series Total column. I have a row of 3 numbers that get a simple SUM
    formula in the 4th column of that row. These series totals range in a column
    from G4 - G32. I have conditionally formatted them so that if the formula
    result is zero, paint the cell white so I don't see the zeros. So in this
    formula column, I only get an actual formula result when I actually have
    scores input in the rows. I want to find the MIN series total in the entire
    column, but the MIN formula is giving me a zero (because I have hidden
    zeros). How can I get the minimum actual number, not being a zero.

    2) I need to figure high series WITH handicap added in. Say G8 has high
    series number, I need to multiply J7 by 3 then add this to the high series
    number in G8. How do I do this? I need the cell number for the high series
    returned, so that I can point the J column cell # to one less than the G
    column cell #.

    TIA,

    -Tom

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    First, you can use the SMALL function to find the 2nd smallest score. e.g.:

    =SMALL(G4:G32,2)

    However, rather than using cond. formatting to 'hide' a zero, use an IF statement to not return anything if D, E and F are blank, e.g.

    =IF(SUM(D4:F4)=0,"",SUM(D4:F4))

    Now the MIN function will work, as your cells will either contain the SUM of your scores or be blank.

    Second:

    in a blank column (H?) enter this formula and copy down e.g. H4:H32

    =IF(G4=MAX($G$4:$G$32),($J$7*3)+G4,"")

    This will find the cell in G with the max value, and add your single game handicap which has be trebled. OR-- You could just do the math in K7 (=J7*3) and use that in your formula:

    =IF(G4=MAX($G$4:$G$32,$K$7+G4,"")

    Good Luck
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Need help with two Bowling Formulas

    Hi Tom

    I think the following should work
    =SUMIF(G4:G32,">0")

    =MAX(G4:G32)+J7*3

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Tom Rogers
    Guest

    Re: Need help with two Bowling Formulas

    I figured out the first one, but the second formula does not work as you
    stated. I need the cell reference returned from =MAX(G4:G32), say it is G7.
    Then somehow I need to be able to reference J6 * 3 plus the value in G7.

    The J6 will change depending on the cell reference returned from
    =MAX(G4:G32). If the cell reference returned is G15, then the J cell
    reference has to be J14.

    Thanx,

    -Tom

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Need help with two Bowling Formulas

    Hi Tom

    Try
    =CELL("address",INDEX(G4:G32,MATCH(MAX(G$:G32),G$:G32,0)))

    This will return the location of the max value in range G4:G32
    You haven't said how the add on changes with location, so unless there
    is a formula for this, I can't add to it any more.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  6. #6
    Tom Rogers