csv manipulation question

  1. #1

    csv manipulation question

    HI,
    I'M a bit of a newb to all this, and was wondering if the following was possible. Sorry if this is a repetative question, as i have used the search facility and not found an obvious answer.

    I have a large csv file which i would like to re-format to look like a spreadsheet.
    A portion of the data is as below

    Point System Name: MS.AH9029.DEHUM.OP
    Point Name: CC-9716.DEHUM.OP
    Point Type: LAI
    Classification: Building Automation
    Descriptor: CC-9716.DEHUM.OP
    Panel Name: MS.OSN11
    Point Address: -Virtual-
    Sensor Type: Voltage
    Slope: 1
    COV Limit: 1
    Engineering Units: %rH
    Analog Representation: Float
    # of decimal places: 2
    Initial Value: 0
    Totalization: None
    Enabled for RENO: No
    Graphic Name: <Undefined>
    Informational Text: << No Text Defined >>
    Alarm Type: Not Alarmable

    Point System Name: MS.AH3098.DEHUM.OP
    Point Name: CC-3098.DEHUM.OP
    Point Type: LAI
    Classification: Building Automation
    Descriptor: CC-3098.DEHUM.OP
    Panel Name: MS.OSN12
    Point Address: -Virtual-
    Sensor Type: Voltage
    Slope: 1
    COV Limit: 1
    Engineering Units: %rH
    Analog Representation: Float
    # of decimal places: 2
    Initial Value: 0
    Totalization: None
    Enabled for RENO: No
    Graphic Name: <Undefined>
    Informational Text: << No Text Defined >>
    Alarm Type: Not Alarmable

    As you can see, each record is separated by the long line of asterisks.
    Is it possible to have a list of records, with the data for each record (which is currently field2) stored in a row and have field 1 (Pointname, point system name,point type, etc) as column headings?
    I have approx 700 records and in the above format it is not easy to review easily
    Any help gratefully recieved.
    Thanks in advance
    Fally

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: csv manipulation question

    1. copy your .csv file to a .txt file (this will get you the wizard when you
    open it)
    2. when you open the file, tell the wizard to use the colon ( : ) as the
    field separator
    3. select the first group of descriptions ( Point system name, point name,
    ....) and copy it.
    4. go to the destination worksheet and paste the data Special with transpose
    selected ( this will create a row)
    6. Successively copy each block of data (column B) and paste it transpose to
    the destination sheet
    --
    Gary's Student