find Row

  1. #1

    Lightbulb find Row

    I currently use VLOOKUP to find the address for a company when their name is input. It returns the address but I would also like it to return the row it gets the details from, is this possible?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: find Row

    MATCH function returns row number!
    Regards,
    Stefi

    „rocket0612” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: find Row

    "Stefi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > MATCH function returns row number!

    No, it returns the index into the data. This could be the row number IF it
    is vertical data, but may not (MATCH("123",A100:A110,0 will never be between
    100 and 110).

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: find Row

    rocket0612 wrote:
    > I currently use VLOOKUP to find the address for a company when their
    > name is input. It returns the address but I would also like it to
    > return the row it gets the details from, is this possible?
    >
    > thanks

    Given in A2:B4:

    x,7
    y,6
    z,9

    the formula:

    =VLOOKUP("y",$A$2:$B$4,2,0)

    would return 6.

    =MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$4,0)

    would return the position of the lookup value "y", therefore also of the
    value associated with it.

    =MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$4,0)+ROW($A$2)-1

    would return the native row number at which "y" is.

    =CELL("Address",INDEX($B$2:$B$4,MATCH("y",$A$2:$A$4,0)))

    would return the cell reference of the value associated with "y".