Summarize times in a pivot table

  1. #1

    Summarize times in a pivot table

    I have 3 columns.......date , name, and total time in 0:00 time format. I want to use a pivot table to give me total time by date and name. It appears pivot table will only summarize cells in number format. I am new to pivot tables so please be gentle

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Summarize times in a pivot table

    If the times entered are truly numeric, it should be simple to get their
    totals. (To check if the times are numbers rather than strings, you could
    try to format them using the 'comma' or 'percent' styles; if they don't
    change when you did that, you've got strings; if they do change, then just
    'undo' and we can move forward).

    If you've constructed the pivot table to show 'sum of time' as the data
    field, you probably get back strange decimal numbers as results. You just
    need to format these. Right-click on one of the result cells, and select
    'field settings.' Click on Number... From the Category list, choose Custom,
    then select (or type) h:mm. Click OK a few times a you should be set.

    (If the times you have are strings, created a new helper column and use the
    timevalue function to convert the strings to times; you'll again probably
    see odd decimal numers, which you can correct by applying that same custom
    h:mm format. Note that dates and times in Excel are just numbers with
    special formats applied.)