How can I increase succesive rows by alphabet rather than number?

  1. #1
    San Diego

    How can I increase succesive rows by alphabet rather than number?

    I can easily create a column of numbers that increase in increments of 1 in each successive cell by adding 1 to the cell above. The first cell is the only cell where I manually input a number. I want to set a column so that I can input a letter, say E, in the top cell and the cells below will fill in with F, G, H, etc. If this can be done, am I limited to a maximum of 26 cells to match the number of letters in the alphabet, or can I go into letters like AA, AB, AC, etc.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: How can I increase succesive rows by alphabet rather than number?

    One way:

    Create a list with A to Z in A1:A26. Select the cells. Choose
    Tools/Options/Custom lists. Click Import.

    This will only give you 26 cells without repetition. You could make a 52
    item list from A to AZ, etc.

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How can I increase succesive rows by alphabet rather than number?

    Hi Janus

    Perhaps by using this 3 ton formula I saved from Bernie Deitrick (12/22000).

    =CHAR((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26)-((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26-INT((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26/26)*26)*26)/26/26-INT((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26)-((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26-INT((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26/26)*26)*26)/26/26/26)*26*26+97)&CHAR((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26-INT((A1-(A1-INT(A1/26)*26))/26/26)*26+97)&CHAR(A1-INT(A1/26)*26+97)

    Copy - Paste in B1.
    In C1 enter =RIGHT(B1,2)
    In A1 enter a 0 (zero). B1 will show "aaa"
    Select the three columns and pull down to no more than 677 rows.

    Past that C column will begin to duplicate. If having 3 letters in your
    lettering system is OK, then omit the C column and use the B column results.
    ZZZ occurs at 17,576.

    To get rid of the formulas do a copy and paste special values.

    I can not answer ANY questions about this formula. I also made the mistake
    of just printing it out instead of saving in Excel. Typing it back into
    Excel was a virtual disaster. Hit enter and "... your formula is missing a
    (..." 'bout 50 times it seemed!

    A just as an aside, my initials LHK occur in row 7629.

    Howard

    "Janus" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    San Diego

    Thumbs up How can I increase succesive rows by alphabet rather than number? Reply to Thread

    Thanks, Guys. I tried JE McGimpsey's method and it works quite well. I just saved the master list in a separate workbook and can now easily import it wherever needed.

    Howard, I don't understand that 3 ton formula any better than you, but rather than type it I pasted it in, followed the directions, and it also works. Someone with more time than me worked that one up.

    Janus