Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

  1. #1

    Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    This is driving me nuts. There has to be a simple solution to this. Somebody help me!

    I want Excel to examine the contents of a cell (say "A1" and do one of two things in cell "B1":

    1. If "A1" contains a certain value, I want Excel to display a hyperlink to a web site in "B1".

    2. If "A1" does not contain this value, I want Excel to display nothing at all in "B1".

    Surely this is possible (and probably easy). Right??

  2. #2

    Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    Hi clemson1994,

    Try entering the function below into cell B1. If the value in A1 is 1, then the URL address should appear in B1. You can manipulate the A1=1 to whatever value you are interested in.

    =IF(A1=1,HYPERLINK("http://www.yahoo.com"),"")

    Hope this helps you !

    Oreg

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreg
    Hi clemson1994,

    Try entering the function below into cell B1. If the value in A1 is 1, then the URL address should appear in B1. You can manipulate the A1=1 to whatever value you are interested in.

    =IF(A1=1,HYPERLINK("http://www.yahoo.com"),"")

    Hope this helps you !

    Oreg
    Yes, but how do I have the website come up as a hyperlink. When I did what you suggested, it just displayed the url. Can't click on it.

  4. #4
    Shoot, my apologies, it does work!!! Nevermind! I was expecting it to show up blue with an underline. Thankyou

  5. #5

    Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    No problem,

    I've asked so many questions in this forum, I've been bursting for the opportunity to help someone out !!! I know so little, the opportunity is rare !!!

    Take it easy

    Oreg

  6. #6
    Bagsha
    Guest

    RE: Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    Assuming the value in A1 is 1, then the formula to use in B1 is;
    =IF(A1=1,HYPERLINK("http:\\www.microsoft.com","www.microsoft.com"),"")

  7. #7
    Chicago Illinois
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 7

    Re: Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    My excel =IF( formula for selecting a Hyperlink URL address works. However I must left click on the hyperlink URL to make it appear. But how can one make it conditionally auto execute on a remote cell value without left clicking on the URL (auto execute) ??

    Thanks for any help and examples ... Bozidar Anton

  8. #8
    Chicago Illinois
    MS-Off Ver
    Office 7

    Re: Conditional Hyperlink (If statement?)

    Hello Oleg:

    Your =IF formula works but I still must click on the URL to get me to a website.

    How can it be modified to automatically go to the Hyperlink website ??

    =IF(A1=1,HYPERLINK("http://www.yahoo.com"),"")

    [/B]ozidarAnton[/B]
    Last edited by BozidarAnton; 04-23-2015 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spelling