Change a formula in VBA

  1. #1
    Mahr Yon
    Guest

    Change a formula in VBA

    Can anyone help with this problem:

    I am trying to write a macro to change a formula in a cell and place the new
    formula in the same cell.

    For instance:
    Cel L1 in a worksheet contains: ='C:\TEST\[file.xls]data'!J7
    By hand I can change this in: = TRIM('C:\TEST\[file10.xls]data'!J7) which
    removes excess spaces.
    How must I do this in a macro?

    Thanks in advance

    MahrYon

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Mahr Yon,

    From your post it looks like you are using the Worksheet Function TRIM to remove the spaces in front of the string and at the end. Do you want to create a VBA macro do to the same thing? Do you want the macro to change the cell's value or it's formula? I ask because they are 2 separate properties and I want to be sure we are changing the right one. Post back with your answers and I'll help you with the macro.

    sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3

    Re: Change a formula in VBA

    dim myCell as range
    set mycell = activesheet.range("L1")
    if mycell.hasformula then
    mycell.formula = "=trim(" & mid(mycell.formula,2) & ")"
    end if

  4. #4
    Mahr Yon
    Guest

    Re: Change a formula in VBA

    Excellent, Dave, this does exactly what I asked for. Thanks!

    "Dave Peterson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Mahr Yon
    Guest

    Re: Change a formula in VBA

    Thanks for your kind reaction, Leith.

    Dave Peterson helped me already.
    I intended to change once a formula in a number of cells, by a macro.
    From now on these cells read out a certain file through that changed formula
    (readfile + TRIM).
    Every change in the file is observed, while the macro is not needed anymore.
    Other functions might be added in the same way.
    I wonder if it is simple to capitalize the first letter of the read strings.

    Greetings, Mahr Yon

    "Leith Ross" <[email protected]>
    schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Kleev
    Guest

    Re: Change a formula in VBA

    It sounds like you want to use Excel's proper function which you can do in
    VBA code by using worksheetfunction.proper. I did the following in the
    Immediate pane:
    x = "THIS is MY cOUNTRY"
    ? worksheetfunction.Proper(x)
    This Is My Country