Excel template/database/macro help

  1. #1

    Smile Excel template/database/macro help

    Hey

    I have just created an excel template using the wizard. What I want to do is have people in my office fill this template in and then have the information go to another excel database and then clear.

    I don’t want staff accessing the main database and as the template requires the excel database file to be opened to transfer information I had a small problem.

    I thought I could counter this by using a simple macro that once someone has completed the form they clicked on the macro, it opens the database, saves the template and in the process transfers the information to the database, saves the database, closes the database and then clears the template form. This meant that the database was only open for the few seconds it took to input the new information.

    But my problem is that the macro (I used macro recorder as I have very little VB knowledge) doesn’t recognise the save on the template. I think this may be because of the dialogue that appears asking you whether to update existing, create new, etc
    It seems that the macro recorder doesn’t recognise what I input once this dialogue box appears. The option I want people to select is always the same “create a new record”.

    Anyone have any ideas of getting around this problem? Any suggestion would be very welcome.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Anybody any ideas??

    bump

  3. #3
    RogerN
    Guest

    Re: Excel template/database/macro help

    Warren

    If you have used the template wixard, it does NOT require the database to be
    open.

    In fact the database can be stored in a different directory to the one being
    used by the staff.

    As long as you have saved the original template as a .xlt with no data, then
    when they save a new form, it will enable them to elect to update the
    database.

    Hope this helps.

    Roger