Formula Help needed

  1. #1

    Question Formula Help needed

    I am new to excell use, and i need some help.
    i have a spreadsheet that is front page with lookup formula's, now the part i have trouble with is that i need to change the location of the lookup. from one page to a better page. the old page was set up to search a column to find a part number then with the row found it next search to find a number in the next column that was my inventory. the new page is set up different with the part number in the same place but the inventory is directly underneath it in the next row. how can i search by range to locate the part number then tell it to read the very next row?

    a reply would be greatly appreciated

    thank you

  2. #2

    Re: Formula Help needed

    First, I think the old format is better. In fact, I'd spend some time to make
    the new page look like that old page. If you happen to sort that new page, you
    could be in big trouble!

    But this might work:
    =index(sheet2!a:a,match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)+1)
    It looks for the exact match, then adds one to the row where the match was
    found.

    Debra Dalgleish's has some notes you may like:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html (for =vlookup())
    and
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html (for =index(match()))