Isolating Email addresses

  1. #1

    Isolating Email addresses

    I've got a list in excel that has email addresses, but each cell also has other information. There are thousands, and I don't want to edit each cell. Is there a formula that recognizes the address only [email protected]/net, etc., or am I stuck editing each one out?

    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Jezebel
    Guest

    Re: Isolating Email addresses

    There's no formula that recognises addresses as such, but there are
    techiques you can use depending on what the 'other information' is that your
    cells contain. If they are all like [email protected]/net, use Data > Text to
    Columns and specify / as the delimiter: you'll end up with the email address
    in column 1 and the 'net' bit in column 2.

    Another approach is to use the Find() worksheet function to locate the
    character that separates the address from the rest, then use Left(), mid()
    or Right() to extract the part you want.

    "H00tenanny" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Isolating Email addresses

    What does the data look like? Perhaps you can use the Data-->Text to Columns
    feature.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  4. #4
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: Isolating Email addresses

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 22:33:45 -0500, H00tenanny
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got a list in excel that has email addresses, but each cell also
    >has other information. There are thousands, and I don't want to edit
    >each cell. Is there a formula that recognizes the address only
    >[email protected]/net, etc., or am I stuck editing each one out?
    >
    >Thanks for your time.

    Do the email addresses in the text string have a space at the
    beginning and end of the address? If so it would be fairly trivial
    matter to edit them out using a VBA macro.

    If there was any unique character at the beginning and end of the
    address then a combination of two or three text slicing functions
    could achieve the same thing.

    If either of these apply, please say and no doubt a solution can be
    provided.

    HTH

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

  5. #5
    Thanks for your help. The Data > Text funtion worked great!

    A typical cell would contain "[email protected] (Sherry Holt) (Jan 7 96), Score = 1.000"

    and some had < preceding the address and > at the end with no spaces, but that was easy to remove using the find and replace with nothing function. Again, thanks, you've saved me loads of time!