How do I create a 26 'tier' IF formula?

  1. #1
    callum
    Guest

    How do I create a 26 'tier' IF formula?

    hi, um, I've been trying to create a 26 tier IF formula so to speak. I would
    like to be able to create a formula so that everytime i write a letter, the
    corresponding number will be typed in another cell. ie. if i type 'a' the
    number '1' will appear, nd so on, ie. a=1 b=2 c=3 etc.

    I tried to use an IF formula but of course you can only use seven levels or
    'tiers'.

    If i could use 26 levels, my formula would look like this:
    =IF(K7="A",1,
    IF(K7="B",2,
    IF(K7="C",3,
    IF(K7="D",4,
    IF(K7="E",5,
    IF(K7="F",6,
    IF(K7="G",7,
    IF(K7="H",8,
    IF(K7="I",9,
    IF(K7="J",10,
    IF(K7="K",11,
    IF(K7="L",12,
    IF(K7="M",13,
    IF(K7="N",14,
    IF(K7="O",15,
    IF(K7="P",16,
    IF(K7="Q",17,
    IF(K7="R",18,
    IF(K7="S",19,
    IF(K7="T",20,
    IF(K7="U",21,
    IF(K7="V",22,
    IF(K7="W",23,
    IF(K7="X",24,
    IF(K7="Y",25,
    IF(K7="Z",26,))))))))))))))))))))))))))

    However, as I said, i could only use seven.
    Does anyone have any ideas of other formulas that would give the same effect
    as a 26 tier IF formula?

    thanks in advance
    Callum

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    How about:
    =CODE(LOWER(A1))-96

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Cutter's Avatar
    Ontario,Canada
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    6,451
    Use this in the cell where you've been trying the IF():

    =MOD(CODE(A1),64)

    or

    =CODE(A1)-64
    Last edited by Cutter; 10-23-2005 at 11:53 AM.

  4. #4
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a 26 'tier' IF formula?

    Callum,

    You don't need an IF statement at all. Use the following formula:

    =CODE(A1)-96

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a 26 'tier' IF formula?

    The formula in my reply assumes you are using lower case letters.
    For upper case letters, use

    =CODE(A1)-64

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
    www.cpearson.com

    news:uV971N%[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a 26 'tier' IF formula?

    To add to Chip's fine suggestion, you could use this for either:

    =CODE(UPPER(K7))-64

    RD

    news:%23jIfYQ%[email protected]...