Don't Update Links

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    SC

    Don't Update Links

    Hello Again Programmers,

    I am building a report. In that report I have copied some graphs from one workbook into another.

    How do I turn off the links updating message for that particular workbook whenever it is opened, besides going into that workbook and inserting a code. I would rather have it encoded from the original workbbok that creates the new workbook.

    I know that this happens because the information for the graphs are in another workbook. So I need to copy those graphs to another workbook, turning off the links.

    Thanks,
    EMoe

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Don't Update Links

    If you don't need the graphs to update then you could try just copying
    them as pictures (hold down shift and you should get an "edit >> copy
    as picture" option).

    Tim

    "EMoe" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    SC
    Hi Tim,

    I tried to hold shift over the chart, and I didn't see edit as picture option.

    When I said graphs earlier, I meant a charts. Are you talking about the same thing?

    EMoe

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    SC
    Sorry Tim,

    Disregard! I see exactly what your talking about. I'll try to see is the macro recorder will give me a code on this function.

    Thanks a bunch,
    EMoe

  5. #5
    Turbo Turtle
    Guest

    RE: Don't Update Links

    "EMoe" wrote:
    > I am building a report. In that report I have copied some graphs from
    > one workbook into another.
    >
    > How do I turn off the links updating message for that particular
    > workbook whenever it is opened, besides going into that workbook and
    > inserting a code. I would rather have it encoded from the original
    > workbbok that creates the new workbook.
    >
    > I know that this happens because the information for the graphs are in
    > another workbook. So I need to copy those graphs to another workbook,
    > turning off the links.

    You could do this

    Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLinks = xlUpdateLinksNever
    End Sub

  6. #6
    Turbo Turtle
    Guest

    RE: Don't Update Links

    "EMoe" wrote:

    > I am building a report. In that report I have copied some graphs from
    > one workbook into another.
    > How do I turn off the links updating message for that particular
    > workbook whenever it is opened, besides going into that workbook and
    > inserting a code. I would rather have it encoded from the original
    > workbbok that creates the new workbook.

    You could do this by changing the update links property. as in

    ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLinks = xlUpdateLinksNever

  7. #7
    Turbo Turtle
    Guest

    RE: Don't Update Links

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Don't Update Links

    The update links question is asked before any code is executed so using
    code/the workbook_open event to change the property is not a solution.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    SC
    Yes Tom, you are right. That's why it seems to be my best option is to copy the charts as a picture as previously suggested by another programmer.

    Which brings me to another question. Is it possible to create a new workbook from a macro out of another, and in that created workbook insert a code into a module?

    Thanks for reply,
    EMoe