Can you do this in excel?

  1. #1

    Question Can you do this in excel?

    Hi

    I know pretty much bugger all about excel, but I really need to do this:

    create alpha-numerical list in the following format
    pin0001.jpg
    pin0002.jpg
    pin0003.jpg

    Etc.

    I can make the "pin0001" part but other than manually typing in the ".jpg" (and the list needs to be 1016 numbers long!!) I can not work out how to append the extension. Can anyone help, I need to work this out quickly!

    Thanks in advance

    Craig

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by craig_s
    Hi

    I know pretty much bugger all about excel, but I really need to do this:

    create alpha-numerical list in the following format
    pin0001.jpg
    pin0002.jpg
    pin0003.jpg

    Etc.

    I can make the "pin0001" part but other than manually typing in the ".jpg" (and the list needs to be 1016 numbers long!!) I can not work out how to append the extension. Can anyone help, I need to work this out quickly!

    Thanks in advance

    Craig
    Hi Craig

    Do the Pin0001 - Pin 1016, then in the next column use this formula >

    =CONCATENATE(A1,".jpg"), copy down to the bottom of the column (quick way to do this is to move cursor to bottom right corner of B1 it will change to a black cross now double click it will copy the formula all the way down), then copy that column and paste special values over the top, delete the first column
    Last edited by Paul Sheppard; 10-26-2005 at 05:24 AM.
    Paul

  3. #3
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    Hi Craig_s,

    > I can make the "pin0001" part but other than manually typing in the
    > ".jpg" (and the list needs to be 1016 numbers long!!) I can not work
    > out how to append the extension.

    Use an extra column and this formulaassuming filenames without
    extension start in cell A2)

    =A2& ".jpg"

    Regards,

    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP
    http://www.jkp-ads.com

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    Put in any starting cell, copy down as required (by 1016 rows ?):
    ="pin"&TEXT(ROW(A1),"0000")&".jpg"

    Freeze the results with an "in-place"
    copy > paste special > values > OK
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    If you put pin0001 in A1 and just drag and copy down (it will increment each
    row)
    Put .jpg in B1 and drag and copy down
    In C1, enter =A1&B1, then drag and copy that down.

    Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    Hi Bob,

    Sorry to interject here to catch your radar. If you've got some time later,
    could you spare a look at this thread in .programming (Subject: Look up
    worksheet)
    re: http://tinyurl.com/a79u9
    where I've made some requests* on your Sub BrowseSheets()
    *if possible

    Thanks
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    Hi Max,

    I have responded, in the thread for continuity. I need a bit more info
    please, so take a look at the thread.

    Regards

    Bob

    news:%[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    Thanks Bob, will do so ..
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  9. #9

    Thanks Everybody

    Thanks everyone, that did it (saved me a few hours of typing . J-P-G, .J-P-G....

    Craig

  10. #10
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Can you do this in excel?

    "craig_s" wrote:
    > Thanks everyone, that did it
    > (saved me a few hours of typing J-P-G, .J-P-G ....

    Glad it helped, Craig !
    --
    Rgds
    Max