Excel Today() function

  1. #1
    joel
    Guest

    Excel Today() function

    I need to create a formula that looks at a reference cell then returns
    Today() if the cell is between given values. If the the cell is not between
    given values then the date in the output cell doesn't change, is this
    possible???

    Many thanks,

    Joel

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Try:
    =IF(AND(A1>value1,A1<value2),TODAY(),your other date)

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Joel,

    You can't do what you want with a formula. If you put a formula in a cell,
    that previous value is gone.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Hi

    Something like this?
    =IF(AND(A1>0,A1<100),TODAY(),DATE(2005,10,1))

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  5. #5
    Gary76
    Guest

    RE: Excel Today() function

    Something like:

    =IF(AND(A1>1,A1<9),TODAY(),A2)

    HTH

  6. #6
    joel
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Hi,

    Not sure what I need to do is possible then? To elaborate I have a
    spreadsheet that shows 30+ pieces of live data updating from a server. I need
    to create a system by which it automatically counts up the number of days
    since the figures last changed for each of the 30 pieces seperatly.. if that
    makes sense?

  7. #7
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Hi Joel

    You are still not giving us the complete picture.
    Do you have something like Date in column A and Value in Column B running
    down through rows 1 to 30?

    If so, then in C1
    =IF(A1="","",TODAY()-A1)
    copy down through C2:C30 and you will have the number of days for each of
    the 30 items.

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  8. #8
    joel
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Hi,

    Sorry not very good at explaining so thanks for your patience!
    The Sheet has the live date and time at the top. Column B has the Name of
    the piece of equipment it is monitoring, Column C,d,e static information
    (which is not used) Column F has the live current value for the given pieces
    of equiptment going down the sheet from 1 to 30. The information may move
    minute by minute or not at all for 40 days depending on whether it is being
    used or not. I need a days counter to start counting the number of days it is
    static for if the live data isn't changing... I have made a macro that takes
    a snapshop of the data and stores it in another column. If that value is Zero
    I was then trying to write a formulae that uses the today() function to count
    how many days have passed since was last not Zero.. If that makes any sense!
    I am rapidly thinking it is alot more complicated that I first gave it
    credit for!

    Joel.

  9. #9
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Excel Today() function

    Hi Joel

    Then the date and time at the top of the sheet seem to be irrelevant to this
    task. Basically we are dealing with Today() and the date that you have
    captured elsewhere on your sheet, assuming you captured a date as part of
    your "snapshot".

    Regards

    Roger Govier