macro to ensure conditional formatting

  1. #1

    macro to ensure conditional formatting

    I've got a column where the entries are checked against all fields of a column on another worksheet. If there's no match the entry is invalid and colored red. This is accomplished by means of Conditional Formatting:

    I've also written a macro which does the checking, but for ALL entry fields of that column; not just the one which was just entered. The reason for this was that I did some testing with the sheet. At some point I had so many test values that I simply selected them all and pressed [del]. To my surprise the Conditional Formatting for the fields of that particular column was deleted as well.

    Is there a real problem as I got a macro which takes care of things at the end by checking them all by means of a button? Well, the people who will be using the sheet for entry wish for the immediate check per entry.

    Is there a way by means of a macro or so to ensure that the Conditional Formatting is "re-applied" or something in case it gets deleted? Or should I resort to an all-macro solution? An all-macro solution would be possible to make, but I just want to know if the Conditional Formatting for a column can be locked or reapplied somehow.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: macro to ensure conditional formatting

    You can apply the formatting with code, so after your macro deletes the
    entries, have it reapply the formatting.

    You can get the basic code by recording a macro while applying the
    conditional formatting manually.

    Just be aware that when applying the formatting, relative references like C5
    are relative to the activecell.

    --
    Regards.
    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    It's not so much that the macro deletes the entries (and therefore the conditional formatting for that cell), but a more general delete. Suppose I've just entered 5 rows and decide I screwed things up and select those 5 rows in their entirety and delete them.

    Conditional Formatting works on the activeCell yeah. It's how it checks with each entry.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: macro to ensure conditional formatting

    In you example, I don't see where that would affect conditional formatting,
    but I understand what you are saying.

    Be as cautious as you feel is necessary.
    use events such as selectionchange, change, or calculate to reapply all the
    conditional formats.

  5. #5
    Well that is part of my question; at least what I tried to convey with my question, but maybe didn't mention clearly. How do I reapply Conditional Formatting to a column, cell, etcetera by means of a macro? Not sure how it's done with the VB code.

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: macro to ensure conditional formatting

    as previously stated: