relationship between columns

  1. #1
    tigercat73
    Guest

    relationship between columns

    I'm trying to find a way to keep data in two columns matched. Say in Column A
    I have loan #'s and in column B I have dates. I'm trying to find a way to
    keep the entered data permanently "married" in relationship to each other. So
    if I sort column A descending, the dates will move with the proper number. I
    know this can be done if both columns are highlighted and column A is sorted,
    but if only A is selected, the dates in B will not change with the
    corresponding loan number. This would keep from making a really time
    consuming mistake.
    Is there a way to do this.
    Thanks
    Dan

  2. #2
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: relationship between columns

    You could always, in a third column...

    =A1&B1

    ... copy down. Select column, Ctrl + C, Alt + E, S, V.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
    To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
    to benefit others.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    when sorting you dont need to actually select the column, row, or table of data to be sorted. as long as the data takes the general form of a data table (column headings with data directly below, with no blank rows in between, or blank cells in the column headings) then selecting any cell in that contiguous table and clicking the A-Z (or Z-A) sort button will do the job. just click a cell in the column that defines your sort criteria, and use the ascending or descending button.