Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

  1. #1
    Christina L.
    Guest

    Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Is there a way to change what is displayed in the formula bar.
    E.g. Cell B10 contains a number. This number is the result of a formula.
    The formula bar displays the formula. Can the formula bar display the number
    that is contained in cell B10 and not the actual formula?

    Thanks
    --
    Christina L.

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Select B10. Pull-down Edit > Copy. Pull-down Edit > Paste Special as value.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  3. #3
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Couldn't you just type in the number?

    RD
    -------------------
    -------------------

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Christina L.
    Guest

    Re: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Thanks RagDyer for your response. Yes, I could just type the number, but my
    example that I listed is only one cell. The person who asked me if this
    could be done has a huge sheet with "lots" of cells. So I was looking for
    some sort of "set up" to be able to do this with multiple cells at one.
    --
    Christina L.

  5. #5
    Christina L.
    Guest

    RE: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Thanks G. student for your response. I will try that. Hopefully this works
    with multiple cells - I will try and select several cells and give it a try.
    Question - is there some sort of "set up" so this occurs as the default?
    --
    Christina L.

  6. #6
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    You need to understand the "Formula Bar" is used to display the "Formula" that a cell may contain. If a cell does not have a formula, then the contents alone are displayed.

    Gary's solution will remove the formula and replace it with the value that the formula returned. Does the contents of these cells ever change? e.g. if C1 contains "=A1+B1" and A1=2, B1=3, doing the paste special... will show 5. However, when (if) A1 or B1 change, C1 stays 5. This may or may not be what your friend is looking for.

    Is the purpose to 'hide' the formula from prying eyes? Hiding the formula bar may be a better solution (Tools>Options>View tab--uncheck Formula Bar in the 'Show' section).

    Just some food for thought on this subject.
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  7. #7
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Just so you realize that you are *removing* all your formulas so that there
    can *no longer* be any more calculations performed!

    If you will need further calculations, make a copy and work on the copy.

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Christina L.
    Guest

    Re: Changing what is displayed in the formula bar

    Thanks SwatspOp
    I appreciate your food for thought. I don't know why the person doesn't
    want the formula displayed in the form. bar and he is aware that the formula
    is no longer there. Go figure.

    Thanks all for your help. I did do the copy/paste option.
    --
    Christina L.