Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

  1. #1

    Exclamation Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    Is there a function or formula that I can put in a cell to grab text from a different sheet's cell? I'm working on a template for people to use where they use different sheets in the same Excel file to provide specific information. I want certain cells of info to automatically populate cells in the Overall Template plan sheet. So that by the time they are done completing all of the separate sheets, they will have one master sheet that's already completed. Does this make sense? Any help you have, I would greatly appreciate it! There has to be an easy way to do this, but I'm not finding it.

  2. #2
    FireGeek822
    Guest

    Re: Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    Here are a couple formulas:

    1 Workbook, Multiple sheets
    In Sheet 2, select a cell for information from Sheet 1. Type the
    following function:
    =Sheet1!B1

    2 Workbooks, Multiple sheets
    In Sheet 1 of Workbook 2, select a cell for information from Workbook
    1, Sheet 1, Cell E8. Type the following function:
    =[Book1.xls]Sheet1!$E$8

    TIP: If you have both workbooks open at the same time, scale the
    windows to have them side by side. Click on a cell in Book2 and type =
    then click your mouse in Book1 and the cell you desire. The formula
    will populate automatically.

    Hope this helps.

    Tammy
    [email protected]

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    If the text is in Sheet1, cell A1, then in your summary sheet, enter

    =Sheet1!A1

  4. #4

    Thank you

    That's exactly what I needed! Thanks for your help.

  5. #5
    lucasjackson
    Guest

    Re: Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    I just posted the same question and got the same good advice.

    Now I'm wondering if there is a formula that will allow me to enter data
    into sheet 2, and have it copy automatically into sheet 1 and 3, or into
    sheet 3 going to sheet 1 and 2? So that I can enter the data into any sheet
    and have it transfer to all sheets, rather than always from sheet 1 to sheets
    2 and 3.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    No - cells can contain constants or formulae, not both. Making an entry
    will overwrite the formula.

    It can be done with VBA event macros. Search the archives for a variety
    of ways:

  7. #7
    Australia
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2013

    Re: Text from one sheet cell to appear in another sheet cell

    I do not seem to be able to get this to work with my existing work book. Can some one help?

    I can get the formula to work by opening a new work book and applying the sheet to sheet formula, but the same will not work for my existing workbook.

    I have made sure that the cell ( where the information is coming from) is not grouped with other cells, and have ensured that the cell where I want the text copied to is formatted for text. But all I get is the following text in the box: ='BREW LIST IN REV 61 TO CURRENT'!B746 where as I should be seeing "IPA AS PER CAN"

    What am I doing wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by FireGeek822 View Post