Newbie Cell Reference Question...

  1. #1

    Newbie Cell Reference Question...

    Hello,
    I apologize if this question has been answered before, but I'm not quite sure what to search for as I'm not very good with excel.

    I'm making a spreadsheet where one sheet references another. I'll try to explain this as best as possible....

    I'm creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy basketball league. I have a "Data" sheet that contains data for all players. I have another sheet, "Teams" that has all the players on each team. Column B contains the players name, and column C contains a number that corresponds to the row this player is on in the data sheet. So, for instance, if the player is Dwayne Wade, the C cell contains the data "32", which is the row this player is on in the data sheet. Now, to display his FG%, I could put in the formula "=DATA!R32", but I want to put "=DATA!R(TEAMS!C4)". Cell C4 being "32". I realize putting this C4 cell into parentheses isn't the way to do it, but that is my question. How would I do this?

    I hate to hard code it, as it would take ages and be messy, but I have no idea how to do it otherwise. I hope I worded this in such a way that someone can understand it and help me out.

    Any help would be appreciated very much...

    Thanks,
    Ross

  2. #2
    paul
    Guest

    RE: Newbie Cell Reference Question...

    i would think a vlookup would accomplish what you want without your special
    column for which row they are in the table,I dont know how you have your
    players displayed or listed but in the second column of your teams page you
    could have =vlookup(playername on data sheet table, absolute data table range
    reference,column number for data reqired,false),copy across and down as
    required ......
    --
    paul
    remove nospam for email addy!