Non-profit database?

  1. #1
    Colorado

    Question Non-profit database?

    Hi -
    I have spent most of today searching for an answer to this question and have come up empty handed. Perhaps someone can help. I am trying to create a database of non-profit organizations (and their information).

    I would like each Non-Profit to have a page ... really a form or template ... where all their information (Name, Address, Mission Statement, Category -from pull-down menu if possible, etc.) could be entered to the right of the topics (which are listed down the left side of the page).

    I would also like all that information to be linked/exported/merged to a large master list that would have the information arranged in a list (each sheet's info flowing across under the appropriate topic header along the top of the page). I would also like this master list to be sortable under each topic header -- alphabetically by name, by category, etc.. I do not want to enter data into the master list; it is for sorting and listing only.

    Another way to look at this would be as if you were filling out a form on a website (which might be a good thing for us to do in the future, but is far beyond me now), who's data would then be collected on a spreadsheet elsewhere.

    Is this possible in Excel? Is it best to use a combination of Excel and Word? How?

    I know this is a lot to ask, but I could really use the guidance. I am relatively new to Excel, but am enjoying it's versatility and plan to use it more as I progress. Therefore, learning how to do something is important (as opposed to having someone do it for me). Thanks. Also know that any help is for my entire community as this document will be for public use.

    Thanks. - Tom

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Non-profit database?

    I answered your question once. Have patience. Perhaps the threads just
    haven't appeared yet.
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    "wirthless" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Colorado
    Not trying to be impatient, just thought if I posed the question of the over-all goal it might get some different thinking. I couldn't figure out how to make your other response work for me, but will go back and give it more effort. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Non-profit database?

    Hi Tom

    I posted a reply this morning, with a follow correction. I include them
    below in case you couldn't see them.

    Hi Tom

    In addition to Anne's suggestion using Word to do a mailmerge type
    operation, you could stay within Excel if you wanted.
    Supposing your Master sheet has Organisation Name in Column A, and the rest
    of your data are in columns B to M (or as many required for the items you
    are recording).

    On Sheet2, copy this list of headings to cells A1:A13 by copying A1:M1 from
    Sheet 1, select A1 on Sheet2 and Paste Special>Transpose.
    You only need to go down to the row number equivalent to the last column on
    your Master sheet.
    Make column A wide enough for the widest heading you have.

    On Sheet2, in cell B2 enter
    =VLOOKUP($B$1,Master!$A$1:$M$250,Row(),0)
    Copy the formula down through B3:B13
    (If your Master sheet is not actually named as such, but is Sheet1, then
    substitute Sheet1! for Master! in the formula.

    Now, any Organisation Name entered into B1, would have their respective data
    pulled across from the Master Sheet.

    To make it easy to select an Organisation, create a Named List of
    organisations by Insert>Name>Define and in the Name pane type Names and in
    the Refers to pane enter =OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,"<>"))

    On Sheet2, apply Data Validation to cell B1 by selecting the cell,
    >Data>Validation> select List from the Allow dropdown, and in the pane

    marked Source enter =Names.

    You will now have a dropdown on cell B1 to allow you to select any
    organisation, and all the relevant data will be shown down the page as you
    require.

    For more help on Data Validation take a look at
    and for more information on Vlookup also on Debra's site

    >Apologies Tom

    >Typo in formula for named range.
    >NOT =OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,"<>"))
    >but instead
    >=OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Master!A:A,"<>"))

    Regards

    Roger Govier