How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

  1. #1
    Avi
    Guest

    How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

    Hello,

    I open an application via this code that works fine
    Sub LaunchCaptureExpress()
    Dim RetVal As Long
    RetVal = Shell("C:\Program Files\Capture
    Express\capexp.exe", vbNormalFocus)
    End Sub

    How do i close it???

    I was given the following solution by "chijanzen", but i get an error message " AciveX does'nt support object" that refers to "Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")"

    close the Windows after 10 seconds

    > Sub LaunchCaptureExpress()
    > Dim WshShell As Object
    > Dim oExec As Object
    > Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    > Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\Program Files\Capture
    > Express\capexp.exe")
    > DoEvents
    > Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:10"))
    > oExec.Terminate
    > Set WshShell = Nothing
    > Set oExec = Nothing
    > End Sub

    Could you help?

    Thanks a lot

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Avi,

    The WSH refers to Windows Scripting Host. You will need to add a reference to this library in your VBA project. On the VBA editor toolbar select "Tools" and the "References...". Look in the list for Windows Scripting Host and check it and click OK. Now the code will run.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

    Perhaps you can do something by using these articles and their links:

    Tom Ogilvy

    "Avi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    Hello,

    I open an application via this code that works fine
    Sub LaunchCaptureExpress()
    Dim RetVal As Long
    RetVal = Shell("C:\Program Files\Capture
    Express\capexp.exe", vbNormalFocus)
    End Sub

    How do i close it???

    I was given the following solution by "chijanzen", but i get an error
    message " AciveX does'nt support object" that refers to "Set WshShell =
    CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")"

    close the Windows after 10 seconds

    > Sub LaunchCaptureExpress()
    > Dim WshShell As Object
    > Dim oExec As Object
    > Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    > Set oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\Program Files\Capture
    > Express\capexp.exe")
    > DoEvents
    > Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:10"))
    > oExec.Terminate
    > Set WshShell = Nothing
    > Set oExec = Nothing
    > End Sub

    Could you help?

    Thanks a lot

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

    Avi,
    Here is an additional thought. if you run this

    Sub ABC()
    Dim WshShell as Object
    set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript_Tom.Shell")
    End Sub
    and get the same error message on the CreateObject line, then you don't have
    the Windows Scripting Host Installed.

    The message you cited isn't exactly the same as what I get, but it may be
    you are using a non-english version of windows and you were posting a
    translation of the message.

    Tom Oglvy

    "Leith Ross" <[email protected]> wrote

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

    Also, see your first posting of this question. You have an answer from RB
    Smissaert.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Avi
    Guest

    Re: How do i close i an application by VBA? (Repost)

    thanks a lot, Tom!

    Article nb 2 did the work!!!!

    Avi

    Avi Benita 054-4660641 wwwAvi Benita 054-4660641 www.avibenita.com