cell reads as label but returns a value

  1. #1

    cell reads as label but returns a value

    How do you have a cell read on the spread as a lable (using the label in a drop-down list) and when selected, the cell will return a constant value? The cell might read: "Red Widget" but it would return a value of say: 257. Got any ideas on this one....

    Thanks...
    Spydor

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: cell reads as label but returns a value

    Hi spydor,
    Is this what you mean?

    http://hanjohn.customer.netspace.net...get%20test.xls

    I've named A1:A20 Work_Area and AA1:AB6 Data_Area.
    Work_Area has Data Validation which is the list of Values in AA1:AA6 ie
    different coloured Widgets. The required Widget constants are in
    AB1:AB6.
    The Sheet1 module has the Sheet_Change Sub which first checks that the
    change occurred in the Work_Area and then goes on the change the Target
    cell value to the appropriate widget constant via the VLookUp worksheet
    function.
    Ken Johnson

  3. #3
    exceluserforeman
    Guest

    RE: cell reads as label but returns a value

    Hi,
    It is better to use a Userform Utility than have objects imbedded into the
    worksheet.
    send me a sample sheet of your project. No info is shared with any person,
    living or presumed dead.

    See my Excel stuff at
    http://www.geocities.com/excelmarksway