Best way to handle this problem

  1. #1
    Sandy
    Guest

    Best way to handle this problem

    Hello -

    I have the following scenario:
    (Sub = Subject, Cat = Category)

    Title1 Title2 Title3 Title4
    Title5
    Subject1 Sub1Cat1 Sub1Cat1Item1 Sub1Cat1Item1
    to to
    . Sub1Cat1Item4
    . .
    . .
    . .
    SubCat8 Sub1Cat8Item1
    Sub1.Cat1Item8
    Subject2 Sub2Cat1
    Sub2Cat14

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Sandy,

    What was the question? You didn't complete your post.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Best way to handle this problem

    Hi Sandy,

    See Debra Dalgleish's page on dependent lists at:

    See also xlDynamic's page on dependent dropdowns at:

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Best way to handle this problem

    Hi Sandy,

    Re-reading your question, I may well have insufficently grasped your intent
    and, to the extent that I have, it seems possible that Excel is not
    necessarily the ideal tool.

    Perhaps an overview of what you are endeavouring to achieve might encourage
    more pertinent responses.

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Best way to handle this problem

    Norman,

    I don't know what makes you doubt your original reading. I have just read it
    and I come to the same conclusion that you originally came to. The only
    difference that I can see from the OP's requirement to the solutions that
    you suggest is the plane in which they are expressed.

    RP

  6. #6
    Sandy
    Guest

    Re: Best way to handle this problem

    Thanks for your response, Norman.

    I realize my explanation is unclear, but I don't know how to explain it
    short of cutting and pasting the whole spreadsheet which, of course, would
    look horrible and not make any sense either.

    You may be quite right that Excel is not the best program to be using for
    this. Essentially what it consists of is a hierarchy in which each column
    from left to right has a one to many relationship with the cells on the same
    line and also those beneath it creating something that looks like

    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

    Any suggestions on what other apps I might try?

    --
    Sandy

  7. #7
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Best way to handle this problem

    Hi Sandy,

    Did you follow the suggested links to Debra's and Bob's sites?

    How did thses not meet with your requirements?

    I am still somewhat perplexed: not by the structure but rather the ultimate
    purpose.

    ---