how do i remove telephone number hyphens from a list in Excel?

  1. #1
    Mediazoo
    Guest

    how do i remove telephone number hyphens from a list in Excel?

    I have a long list of telephone numbers in an Excel spreadsheet that i need
    to remove the hyphons from. Do you have a quick formula for doing this?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    If the cells are formatted using the special Phone Number format

    [<=9999999]###-####;(###) ###-####

    and assuming there is 3 digit area code so your numbers currently look like:

    (781) 555-4444

    You can change the format to:

    #######

    This will result in 7815554444.

    If you are not using an area code 555-4444 it will result in 5554444

    Just select the entire column, change the cell format and they should all change.

    Not sure how to do it if they were not formatted as the Special Phone Number format.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: how do i remove telephone number hyphens from a list in Excel?

    One way is to highlight the column, then do Edit > Replace > put - in the
    "Replace" box and leave the "replace with" box empty, then press ReplaceAll

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    If not in Special Phone number format for number including area code (781-575-5555) use:

    =LEFT(J14,3)&MID(J14,5,3)&RIGHT(J14,4)

    If no area code then:

    +LEFT(J14,3)&RIGHT(J14,4)

    J14 represents the cell with the current hyphenated phone number in it.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: how do i remove telephone number hyphens from a list in Excel?

    =SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")

    RP

    news:[email protected]...