Transposing Formulas

  1. #1

    Transposing Formulas

    Can anyone help me to transpose this decibel formula, DECIBEL = V1/V2 LOG20, If I know V1 and I know the decibel I need to work out V2 .... Thanks

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Transposing Formulas

    A little algebra:

    V2 = V1/Decibel Log20

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JE McGimpsey
    A little algebra:

    V2 = V1/Decibel Log20

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Johno <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Can anyone help me to transpose this decibel formula, DECIBEL = V1/V2
    > LOG20, If I know V1 and I know the decibel I need to work out V2 ....
    > Thanks
    Thanks but I'm not so sure this works out exactly, if I use 1OO as V1 and 50 as V2 then the decibel figure is 6.02 .... if I then work back using the formula V2 = V1/Decibel Log 20 instead of V2 equalling 50 as in the first formula it equals 6.41 not 6.02 and if other figures are substituted and then worked back the error varies .... can anyone shed some light. ... Regards

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Transposing Formulas

    Well, it helps to start out with the right formula. Instead of

    DECIBEL = V1/V2 LOG 20

    the formula is actually

    DECIBEL = 20 * LOG(V1/V2)

    So, just rearranging and taking the antilog

    V2 = V1/10^(DECIBEL/20)