Lost formatting in Excel

  1. #1

    Lost formatting in Excel

    I have a new problem with Excel. I've been using Excel 97 for years, and I've never seen this happen before.

    In the course of completing a worksheet, I include hyperlinks to supportive documentation on the internet. This works until I close and re-open the spreadsheet. As of tonight, when I re-open the spreadsheet, I am immediately met with a pop up warning from Microsoft Excel that says "File Error: Data may have been lost." When I click okay, the file opens, and the hyperlinked cells appear to be hyperlinked (blue, underlined).... but they are just text. What may have corrupted my files, my program (the error can be re-created with a new file), and what can I do to correct this?

    Please help!

    Thanks so much!

    Jack

  2. #2

    Re: Lost formatting in Excel

    I don't know what causes corruption, but sometimes workbooks do get corrupted.

    Sometimes, you can recover your file by opening in saving in a later version of
    excel (xl2k+ for you). In fact, xl2002+ is even more forgiving than xl2k.

    Other times, openoffice can open files that excel can't.
    http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

    If you've tried the same thing on a brand new workbook and it works ok, then it
    sure sounds like the workbook is corrupted (to me anyway).

    You may get lucky by just recreating the worksheet (delete the old and rebuilt
    the new). Or you may have to rebuild all the workbook--I don't think you'll
    know until you're close to done.

  3. #3

    I'm pretty sure it's not the workbook; it's the program

    The same thing happens in ALL workbooks, even sample workbooks that I create to test the issue. When I e-mail them to another computer, the open just fine.

  4. #4

    Re: Lost formatting in Excel

    If it happens in all your workbooks, maybe it's not the workbook.

    Maybe removing and reinstalling xl would help.

    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=254250
    OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97 on Windows XP, Windows Me,
    and Windows 2000