Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

  1. #1
    Janet T
    Guest

    Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    Folks I'm designing a spreadsheet to hold log-on numbers for temporary
    workers. The format of the numbers is MWI***Z, where *** is a 3-digit
    number. Is there any way I can use an increment function to automatically
    complete a long list of numbers eg MWI001Z, MWI002Z, without having to type
    them all in. I've tried using the fill handle, but it doesn't work on this -
    presumably because its a mix of letters and numbers.
    Thanks for any help.
    Janet

  2. #2
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    RE: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    well, I'm no guru at this (yet) but I would say in a new worksheet in
    column A type in MWI0001, MWI0002...etc then use the fill handle to fill as
    far as you need
    Incomumn B type Z and autofill it
    then column C =CONCATENATE(A1,B1)
    copy row C into your original worlsheet. Tis may be a "quick and dirty" for
    some, but it works.

  3. #3
    ufo_pilot
    Guest

    RE: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    Oh make sure you "paste special - values" from column C

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Assuming 2 header rows, in A3 put

    ="MWI"&TEXT(ROW()-2,"000")&"Z"

    and fomula-drag that as far down as you need.

    Adjust the Row()-2 if you don't start on Row 3

    Quote Originally Posted by Janet T

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    If you format A1:

    Format > Cells... > Number Custom > "MWI"000Z

    then the cells will appear as you want and you can still increment normally:

    =A1+1 in A2, etc.
    --
    Gary's Student

  6. #6
    Janet T
    Guest

    RE: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    Ufo & Bryan - thanks very much for your help - they both worked wonderfully :-)

  7. #7
    Janet T
    Guest

    Re: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    Bryan
    This worked fine until we got to MWI499z - for some reason the next number
    turned to mwi4100Z. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Janet

  8. #8
    Stephen
    Guest

    Re: Incrementing Mixed text & numbers

    The only way I can think of this happening is for the character "4" to have
    been inadvertently included as part of the text formatting - that is,
    "MWI4"00Z instead of "MWI"400Z

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Janet,

    There is no apparent reason except to agree with Stephen and think that either the formula was corrupted, or you have rows 500 to 4101 Hidden.

    The formula is based on the Row number minus 2 (if you started in row 3) - you would need 'Row()+3600', or 'Row(A4102)-2' to produce 4100 in Row 502

    What is the next row number after you see MWI499Z ?
    and what is the formula there?