Paste Special problem □

  1. #1

    Paste Special problem □

    I have a sheet that I have to change the format from general to text and back while copy and pasting different info. After doing this once the data pasted doesn't past correctly. The deliminator shows up as □ and all the info is pasted into 3 cells instead of maybe 20. Anybody know what causes this and maybe some remedies? As of now I can only input 1 paste special at a time before I have to reset Excel so I can continue to another paste special.

  2. #2

    Re: Paste Special problem □

    I know that excel likes to help by remembering settings from the last data|text
    to columns that you've used.

    I think I'd run a dummy data|text to columns, delimited, but remove all the
    checkmarks.

    Then copy and paste.

    That should paste into a single column.

    Then you can select that range and do data|text to columns the way you want.

    The next time you paste, excel will remember your settings (once again). If it
    helps, then you should be happy. If it doesn't help, then maybe pasting all the
    data, then doing one data|text to columns would work better for you.

    ps. What's the &#9633 character? I think it may have been changed in your
    post.

  3. #3
    The character looks like a square, I'm not sure what its called.

  4. #4

    Re: Paste Special problem □

    Chip Pearson has an addin that will help determine each character in a cell.
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    But did the other stuff help with your problem?