How do I stop Excel from converting a numerical entry to a date?

  1. #1
    havanakids
    Guest

    How do I stop Excel from converting a numerical entry to a date?

    I'm creating a spreadsheet in which one column contains SKU (stock keeping
    unit) numbers. Excel sometimes sees these values as dates and automatically
    converts them in my spreadsheet. For example, Excel sees 10-1999 as Oct-99.

  2. #2
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Excel from converting a numerical entry to a date?

    Enter it as '10-1999. The apostrophe will convert your entry to text but
    will not show in the cell. You will be able to see it in the formula bar.

    Alternately format the cell as text before entering the SKU.

    Hope this helps
    Rowan

  3. #3
    havanakids
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Excel from converting a numerical entry to a dat

    Your answer was right on target! Preceeding the numerical value with an
    apostrophe forced Excel to leave the value alone. Many thanks for your help.
    I was ready to quit!

  4. #4
    Rowan Drummond
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Excel from converting a numerical entry to a dat

    You're welcome.

  5. #5
    If your stock numbers always have the same format xx-xxxx like your example, then creating a ##-#### format is a better way to solve your problem. Set that format to the whole column. That way when the user enters 102005, Excel will format it in 10-2005. Saves you two key strokes (' and -) for each entry

    Alain