+ Reply to Thread

Identifying/Eliminating Worksheet References

Identifying/Eliminating Worksheet References

I've been making copies of a spreadsheet for a project (say ABC.xls [orig], and DEF.xls [copy]), and in the process, accidentally made an external workbook reference that I can't seem to get rid of. Whenever I open DEF.xls, I get a prompt for Update/Don't Update.

Since external referencing uses [ABC.xls] in the formula, I ran a search and replace for 'ABC.xls' and removed those instances. However, I still recieve a prompt when I open DEF.xls.

Is there a way to highlight cells referencing another workbook, or any other way to remedy this situation?

Thank you

Dave O

Re: Identifying/Eliminating Worksheet References

External references may also be embedded in Named Ranges, and command
    buttons on your spreadsheet may also refer to macros that exist in a
    foreign spreadsheet.

I found a number of Data Ranges with references to other files that I didn't need, and deleted them. In the Macros, I didn't find anything fishy, but I still receive the prompt. This time, I hit "Help", and was directed to Edit>Links. It shows which files are being referenced, but I'm not entirely sure if I want to break the links, since I'm unsure what may happen (Note: I'm author of all the files being referenced, it's all my creation). The Source Type: 'Workbook', Type: 'A', for whatever that's worth. Is there a way to follow these workbook references to the cells they correspond to, and/or are there other ways which these files are being referenced?

Thanks.

I deleted the links, as I determined they shouldn't be there (I saved a copy of the files just in case). However, I still receive different prompts when I save:

"Excel cannot complete this task with available resources."
    "Unable to save external link values"

The save works, but why would I receive the prompt if there are no longer any external links? These prompts do not occur with the original file (ABC.xls), but only with the copied files (DEF.xls, GHI.xls, etc) [see original post]. The file sizes are on the order of 3-6 MB, FWIW.

Thanks,
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information