Strange formula popping up

  1. #1
    good ole usa

    Strange formula popping up

    Hello. I have a problem in excel 2003. My SS has lots and lots of figures on it. I used format with no $ , 2 decimals, and chose (1234. 56). However every time I try to enter an amount in the minus in any cell it comes out strange.

    For instance say I want to enter (250.00).
    It does this: - 250.F8 (or any other cell ). and then jumps to the cell next to it and does the little flashing 'outline the cell' thingy. I tried deleting and clearing all the formulas and then reformatting but it keeps doing it. Amounts in the black come out just fine such as 1234.56. It only does it in a cell with minus.

    What am I doing wrong? I don't want to lose all the data I have entered but ....
    Lil' Bit

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Strange formula popping up

    There may be macros built into the spreadsheet that invoke when you
    enter a negative number. Did you inherit this spreadsheet from someone?

  3. #3
    good ole usa
    In a way I did inherit it. The company has a template so I copied the template and proceeded from there to insert data. But why won't the strange formula disappear when I use the ' clear formula '? Also tried re-entering the correct format and it doesn't go away.

  4. #4

    Re: Strange formula popping up

    If you close excel then reopen it in safe mode, then open your file, does it
    work ok?

    close excel
    windows start button|Run
    excel /safe

    File|Open your workbook

    If it works ok, then you could have a worksheet event that runs automatically
    when you make a change.

    Rightclick on the worksheet tab and select view code.

    If you see stuff there that looks Greek, it may be time to get the developer
    involved.

  5. #5
    good ole usa
    Argh. Such frustration. I can't start excel in safe. When I click on run and the box pops up, I enter: excel/safe Then click ok.

    Another box pops up that says : Windows cannot find 'excel/safe'.

    The company said I can play around with the template and get it right. So isn't there just some way to undo the formatting on the template? Everytime I try, it still does the same thing. I'm clearing and deleting like crazy and no go.

  6. #6
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Strange formula popping up

    you can also start in Safe mode by holding down the Ctrl key while click on
    the Excel icon

  7. #7
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    Re: Strange formula popping up

    try

    Excel /s

  8. #8

    Re: Strange formula popping up

    Just to reiterate Duke's point...

    There's a space character between excel and /safe

  9. #9
    good ole usa
    Ok, thank you everyone. I got in safe mode and clicked on view mode and everything looks ok to me. Well thanks for trying. Think I'll just make up my own ss next month and not use the template.