Percentage difference calc that knows the largest figure

  1. #1
    Mighty Magpie
    Guest

    Percentage difference calc that knows the largest figure

    I have a calculation in cell A3 which looks at the content of Cell A1 and
    Cell A2 and then works out the difference between both as a percentage

    For instance

    Cell A1 = 100

    Cell A2 = 10

    Cell A3 returns the difference as being 90%

    My simple calculation in Cell A3 is as follows =(A1-A2)/A1

    Cell A3 is formatted to give the answer as a percentage to 2 decimal places

    The above works fine as long as the number in Cell A1 is greater than the
    number in Cell A2

    If the number in A2 is greater than the number in A1 then my calculated
    answer is incorrect

    For instance

    Cell A1 = 10

    Cell A2 = 100

    Cell A3 returns the difference as being -900%

    Can someone please tell me of a way in which I can input one formula in cell
    A3 that will look at both A1 and A2 then recognise which is the greater
    number and give me resultant percentage difference?

    Is it possible?

    TIA

  2. #2
    =IF(A1>A2,(A1-A2)/A1,(A2-A1)/A2)

    This should help you.

    Good Luck.

  3. #3
    Mighty Magpie
    Guest

    Re: Percentage difference calc that knows the largest figure

    Thanks for the info and prompt response - I am grateful

    "goober" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mighty Magpie
    Guest

    Re: Percentage difference calc that knows the largest figure

    Many thanks for that - it works fine

    Cheers

    news:[email protected]...