Startup Problem

  1. #1
    Henrywaz
    Guest

    Startup Problem

    I accidentally changed the entry in the Tools, Options, General tab so Excel
    now tries to execute every file in my data directory. Needless to say, it
    never gets to the point that I can get to the Tools menu to delete the entry.
    I've also tried to Repair and also Remove Office, but the process hangs.
    I'm also concerned that even if I repaired or reinstalled I would still have
    the same problem.

    Is there a file or set of files I can delete that will solve the problem?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Usually the .xlb file in C:\Documents and Settings\--your username--\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

    Generally a System (hidden) area, so set the Search to select 'hidden'.

    Normally deleted, but I usually rename such files in case the error is elsewhere and there is useful data in there.

    Then re-start Excel.

    Hope this helps

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrywaz

  3. #3

    Re: Startup Problem

    Maybe you could just temporarily rename your data folder.

    Then startup excel and fix the problem.

    then back to windows explorer to change the folder name back.

  4. #4
    Henrywaz
    Guest

    Re: Startup Problem

    I tried renaming the xlb file, but that didn't do the trick. Renaming the
    data directory did work.

    Thanks for the idea.

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Thanks for the feedback, Dave will be pleased.