How do I get cells on a sheet to automatically fit data?

  1. #1
    Mariel
    Guest

    How do I get cells on a sheet to automatically fit data?

    I want to get the columns in the worksheet to fit the longest piece of data
    in each cell. For instance, if I type a short word in a cell, and in the
    cell beneath it, the word is longer, I want to learn a shortcut on how to get
    the cell width to fit the data entered into it so the column will be adjusted
    to show the longest word without wrapping. I have 10 columns and each one
    has data from 2 letters to abut 40 letters. I know there is a way to get
    each column to resize itself based on the longest text or numbers in them for
    the whole sheet, but I've forgotten how. Any help will be greatly
    appreciated.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariel
    I want to get the columns in the worksheet to fit the longest piece of data
    in each cell. For instance, if I type a short word in a cell, and in the
    cell beneath it, the word is longer, I want to learn a shortcut on how to get
    the cell width to fit the data entered into it so the column will be adjusted
    to show the longest word without wrapping. I have 10 columns and each one
    has data from 2 letters to abut 40 letters. I know there is a way to get
    each column to resize itself based on the longest text or numbers in them for
    the whole sheet, but I've forgotten how. Any help will be greatly
    appreciated.
    Hi Mariel

    Select the 10 columns and Format > Column > Autofit
    Paul

  3. #3
    William Horton
    Guest

    RE: How do I get cells on a sheet to automatically fit data?

    Highlight the column and follow the Excel menu path Format / Column / Autofit
    Selection.

    You can also move your mouse just to the right of the column heading so that
    it turns into a crosshair. Then double-click and the column will adjust to
    the longest piece of data. Example, if you want to autofit column C you
    would place your mouse in the column headings just between column C and D
    until it turns into a crosshair (plus sign) and then double-click.

    You can also use the wrap text property if you want text to wrap around
    within a cell rather than widing the column.

    Hope this helps.

    Bill Horton

  4. #4
    Mariel
    Guest

    RE: How do I get cells on a sheet to automatically fit data?

    This is just the information I was hoping to find out. Thank you very much,
    William!

  5. #5
    Mariel
    Guest

    Re: How do I get cells on a sheet to automatically fit data?

    This is my first time to any type of discussion group, but I really need a
    fast answer. You and the other man answered me so fast, and I am so happy
    that this worked out for me. Thank you both for your assistance and 2
    answers that will both work.