Simple Formula (I thought)

  1. #1

    Simple Formula (I thought)

    Been racking my brains all day on this, I'm sure one of you clever people out there can help me. I need to do a simple calculation based on hourly rates, example as follows.
    TA bills out at $20 an hour
    MF bills out at $50 an hour
    FG bills out at $70 an hour

    All the above are in the same column of a worksheet....how the hell do I get a total for the above as a grand total. i.e. IF A1 = TA, do a calculation, add to total. IF A6 = MF do a calculation add to total and so on. The initials are in drop down boxes....and the input needs to be simple cos numptys like me have to do this...

    Any help would be very appreciated.
    Chris
    AKA Excel virgin

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula (I thought)

    Presumably, you want to multiply by the hours, in column B?

    If so, use

    =SUMIF(A1:A100,H1,B1:B100)*(IF(H1="TA",20,IF(H1="MF",50,IF(H1="FG",70,0))))

    where H1 holds the id to calculate.

    RP

    "csandi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Your a genious...definately on my Christmas Card list.
    Thanks
    Chris

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula (I thought)

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:45:27 -0600, csandi
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Been racking my brains all day on this, I'm sure one of you clever
    >people out there can help me. I need to do a simple calculation based
    >on hourly rates, example as follows.
    >TA bills out at $20 an hour
    >MF bills out at $50 an hour
    >FG bills out at $70 an hour
    >
    >All the above are in the same column of a worksheet....how the hell do
    >I get a total for the above as a grand total. i.e. IF A1 = TA, do a
    >calculation, add to total. IF A6 = MF do a calculation add to total and
    >so on. The initials are in drop down boxes....and the input needs to be
    >simple cos numptys like me have to do this...
    >
    >Any help would be very appreciated.
    >Chris
    >AKA Excel virgin

    A single formula for the Grand Total would be:

    =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100={"TA","MF","FG"})*(B1:B100*{20,50,70}))

    However, if your list of initials is in some column named "initials" and your
    associated list of rates is in some column named "rates", then the following
    **array** formula might be more flexible for future editing.

    Excel will place braces {...} around the formula.

    =SUM((A1:A100=TRANSPOSE(Initials))*(B1:B100*TRANSPOSE(Rates)))

    (If Initials and Rates are in rows instead of columns, you won't need the
    Transpose Function)

    --ron