Formatting merged cells to have lines.

  1. #1

    Formatting merged cells to have lines.

    I would like to know if there is a way to format merged cells so that lines show up where each cell would be.

    Instead of having a cell look like this...

    TEST

    I want my cell to look like this...

    But I want to be able to enter an entire word into the cell, not have to do it letter by letter. I'm thinking right now the only way to do that would be to enter data into one cell and then read it letter by letter and insert each letter into a single cell.

  2. #2

    Re: Formatting merged cells to have lines.

    If you put a word in A1, you can put a bunch of formulas in B1:X1 (enough cells
    for each letter):

    in B1:
    =mid(a1,1,1)
    in C1:
    =mid(a1,2,1)
    in d1:
    =mid(a1,3,1)

    You could even be a little sneaky.
    Put this in B1 and drag across:
    =MID($A1,COLUMN()-1,1)

    or no matter what column if you start with the cell to its right:
    =MID($A1,COLUMN()-COLUMN($A1),1)

    Change $a1 to the cell that holds the word -- in both spots.