Sorting Numbers w/Aplha Suffix

  1. #1
    Moonray80
    Guest

    Sorting Numbers w/Aplha Suffix

    Is there any way to properly sort a series of numbers with an alpha suffix?
    Example:

    92001
    92001A
    92001B
    91005

    I've tried to convert the numbers to text but the alpha suffix nubers still
    end up in a separate group.

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    try

    ="'"&A1

    equals doublequote singlequote doublequote and A1

    and formula copy that down your range, and sort over the new (helper) column

    if your numbers are differing lengths you can use the Text(A1,"000000") on the numeric portion to give the correct view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonray80

  3. #3
    Melissa
    Guest

    RE: Sorting Numbers w/Aplha Suffix

    A post titled "Sorting Issue. Please help" on 14 Nov suggests several ways to
    answer your question. I personally think Ken Wright's 1st suggestion is the
    most straight-forward. Copied here for you:

    Convert everything to text. Assuming your data is in Col A, then in Col B
    use
    =""&A2 and copy down. Then copy and paste special as values and delete Col
    A. Now sort on your data as you wish.

    Please note diff with Bryan's suggestion. Here, it's equal doubleQuote
    doubleQuote ampersand A2

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Melissa,

    It appeared that the only way to stop the sort from determining that some cells were numbers was to put a ' single quote into the cell.
    This then allows 0006 to be followed by 0006A and 0007

    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa

  5. #5
    Melissa
    Guest

    Re: Sorting Numbers w/Aplha Suffix

    Bryan,
    your suggestion requires the cells to be modified.

    After using Ken's suggestion, i.e. converting to text via =""&A1 then
    copying and pasting as values, I am prompted with the following message when
    I try to sort the data:
    The following sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some
    numbers formatted as text.
    What would you like to do:
    - Sort anything that looks like a number, as a number
    - Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately

    Option 1 will give the result that MoonRay required.

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Melissa,

    You are correct that the ' (tick) is not required, but I couldn't achieve a correct sort the other day without it. However, it is option 2, (- Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately) (the numbers are all stored as text) that produces the requested output, although I think the OP wanted 91005 to sort first rather than as displayed, last. Selecting option 1 (- Sort anything that looks like a number, as a number) separates the alpha-inclusive items to the end of the sort.

    The other problem would be that the data shown was 5 digit numbers plus maybe an alpha. If the extended list includes 3 and 4 digit numbers these will need to be zero-filled to the size of the largest number for sorting purposes. For this reason a helper column for sorting purposes is usually recommended.