+ Reply to Thread

MSQuery "disappearing"

MSQuery "disappearing"

My company recently upgrade from Excel 97 (Windows NT) to Excel 2002 (Windows XP) and now we're experiencing something strange in one of our worksheets.

Daily we pull data into the worksheet using MSQuery against an Access database. From time to time (not every day, not even every other day), the MSQuery definition seems to "disappear". Meaning, when we go to Refresh the data in the query, the Refresh option (nor the Edit Query or Properties or Parameters options) is no longer there. It's as if the worksheet thinks the data in the data range is simply that, just data. Not external data as a result of a query.

The first time it happened, we noticed that the named range (Insert / Name / Define) showed up with some spaces in the front of it. Once we deleted the extra spaces, the worksheet once again recognized that the data range was the result of a query and the Refresh option (et al) were back. But now when we try that trick, we get the error "Not a valid name".

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? It's getting rather irritating having to add the query back into the worksheet every couple of days!

I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Question Any luck with your disappearing MSQuery? Dying to know

You're the first person I've found with this problem (spaces appear in front of defined name for Excel MSQuery, and Refresh function becomes disabled).

I and a co-worker have the EXACT same problem and we've spent lots of hours trying to discover what causes it.

Any luck on your end? If not, let me know. If we come across something we'll be more than glad to share with you. This is one frustrating problem.

Thanks!

Disappearing MSQuery still a mystery

No, we still haven't figured out what's going on with this. And it's still happening from time to time. I agree that it's extremely frustrating!

I was so excited when I got the email with your post. I was hoping that you had the answer.

I'll let you know if I ever hit upon an answer. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information