X-Axis scaling on graph

  1. #1

    X-Axis scaling on graph

    Hi,
    I'm trying to scale a spread-sheet of daily temperatures throughout the year.
    Y-axis is temperature, x-axis is the date. Question: How can I scale the x-axis to show the month with variable no. of days for the main interval, ie 31 days for january, 29 days for february etc.
    Bob2

  2. #2
    Jon Peltier
    Guest

    Re: X-Axis scaling on graph

    1. Your dates have to be fully qualified numerical dates (with day, month,
    year) recognized by Excel.

    2. Use a line chart or column chart, with the dates as above used as
    category (X) values.

    3. The chart should automatically build the X axis is a date-scale axis
    (which MS erroneously calls "time-scale"). You can format the axis by double
    clicking: on the Scale tab, make sure the base unit is set to days and the
    Major unit to an integral number of months.

    - Jon
    -------
    Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
    Peltier Technical Services
    Tutorials and Custom Solutions
    http://PeltierTech.com/
    _______

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    I have this problem as well.

    I've tried doing this, but it doesn't seem to work. For example, I have the following data to plot:

    01/31/95 0.29623
    12/29/95 0.19822
    12/31/96 0.13931
    12/31/97 0.33036
    12/31/98 0.082194
    12/31/99 0.23669
    12/29/00 -0.25575
    12/31/01 0.023404
    12/31/02 -0.11949
    12/31/03 -0.018228
    12/31/04 0.12326

    with the dates being the actual dates I wish to plot on my x-axis. As you can see, they are irregular dates. Regardless of how I try (with ensuring the Minor Unit is on Days and the Major on months), I can't seem to get the right combination to have Excel plot the actual dates above. Instead, it seems to keep defaulting to the last day in January, probably due to the first data point in the date series.

    Does anyone have any ideas how I would fix this to get the actual dates to plot on the x-axis?

    Thanks,

    -Pete