vlookup on a cell with a formula

  1. #1
    Minos
    Guest

    vlookup on a cell with a formula

    Hi,

    I have added the values(text) of 2 columns together by either eg. =a1&""&a2
    or =concatenate(a1,a2). I want to use the result of this as the lookup_value
    in a vlookup formula but get a #N/A error. Is it possible to use vlookup in
    such an instance? If so what can I do to make the formula work?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: vlookup on a cell with a formula

    Minos,

    Try using

    --(A1&A2)

    as the lookup value

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Minos
    Hi,

    I have added the values(text) of 2 columns together by either eg. =a1&""&a2
    or =concatenate(a1,a2). I want to use the result of this as the lookup_value
    in a vlookup formula but get a #N/A error. Is it possible to use vlookup in
    such an instance? If so what can I do to make the formula work?

    Thanks
    Minos,
    the concatenated values appear in *single* first column of your table? Or are they broken in two columns? If this is the case, then you need to use the combination INDEX(..., MATCH(...)) as an array formula (to be entered with Shift+Ctrl+Enter)

    =INDEX(K1:K10, MATCH(a1&b1, I1:I10&J1:J10,0))

    In this example I am assuming your table lies in cells I1:K10, with columns I:J containing the values that form the key and K:K containing the values you want retrieved.

    HTH
    Kostis Vezerides

  4. #4
    Bruno Campanini
    Guest

    Re: vlookup on a cell with a formula

    "Minos" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have added the values(text) of 2 columns together by either eg.
    > =a1&""&a2
    > or =concatenate(a1,a2). I want to use the result of this as the
    > lookup_value
    > in a vlookup formula but get a #N/A error. Is it possible to use vlookup
    > in
    > such an instance? If so what can I do to make the formula work?
    >

    > Thanks

    Don't add/concatenate anything.
    Simply use A1&A2 as the lookup value.

    Bruno