Import text to Excel

  1. #1
    Fredrik E. Nilsen
    Guest

    Import text to Excel

    I have a problem when importing text to Excel (2003).

    I have a Word-document with 1 000 paragraphs. Some of the paragraphs
    only have one short line of text but most of them consist of several
    lines of text separated by a manual line break. It is crucial to keep
    the line breaks.

    When I paste the data into Excel the text is placed in cells on a
    "line-by-line" basis and not paragraph by paragraph. Each line of text
    in the word document is placed in its own cell. I want each paragraph
    to go in one cell and on the same time keep the manual line breaks
    inside the cell. I guess part of the problem is that in Excel a hard
    line break is Alt+Enter and in Word Shift+Enter.

    Anyone got a workaround for this?

    --
    Fredrik E. Nilsen

  2. #2
    data -> import external data -> import data

    u can use a delimiter, or manually adjust column widths...

  3. #3
    Fredrik E. Nilsen
    Guest

    Re: Import text to Excel

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:09:45 -0600, fax
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >data -> import external data -> import data
    >
    >u can use a delimiter, or manually adjust column widths...

    No, that gives the same result as File -> Open. It doesn't
    differentiate between a paragraph mark and a manual line break.

    Manually adjusting column width does not help as the length of the
    lines vary.

    --
    Fredrik E. Nilsen